Thursday 13 March 2008

Kisumu - Jinja

burnt out town during the tribal conflicts in kenya

talking with some guys who were involved in the killings and rioting - hectic moment

just after i hit a foot deep pothole . i broke my seat adjustment shaft. my rear wheel was rubbing on my seat.

our nervous night in Kisumu. we thought the hotel was going to get raided by an angry mob that night

so happy to be in lovely uganda. we were so tense and anxious in western kenya.

my bike looking really sad after the big crash and hitting that deep pothole.

well i never thought i could write a book in my life. but with the amount of stories and things that happened to me in that week i think i could. we arrived in Kisumu after a hellish 13 hour day on the bike. i could barely ride it. i had to go at 30 km/h as my rear shock was bottomed out and i had only 2cm of travel before my rear tyre touched my seat. the road was terrible and it was very hard going. i never thought this trip would be so hard. every time im just amazed at how difficult things can be. and you struggle struggle struggle every km of it. well after a nervous night in Kisumu we left early in the morning at 0500. i was so extremely exhausted the previous night that i couldnt sleep. we left early to avoid the rioting in the area. we were really scared of being caught out there and having a broken bike was not helping much. how can one outrun a mob on a bike doing 30km/h! anyway, we left and managed to get some km's under our belt. we were relieved to arrive at the ugandan border around lunch time. and passed, into what seemed like, heaven. uganda is light after kenya. happy smiley people. beautiful scenery. i was singing in my helmet the first 50km. arrive in jinja around 6 and had a cold friendly beer. we camped on the source of the nile and talked to, what seemed like, old friends. we'd made it through, arguably, the most dangerous part of our journey.

No comments: