Friday 4 April 2008

Dar Es Salaam – Iringa (M: 16.197km, R: 20.853km)

beware of the animals... i tried to look dangerous, but ended up looking rather camp
our bush camp in the middle of nowhere.
great roads

last sight of dar
yep just the perfect place - ciao Dar

my beautiful girlfriend Anita (not the one with the goatee!)


our lovely hosts Joe and Lucio from Mikadi beach. i became a part of the furniture there







Masai never saw a bike before...


Bikes are not allowed in Mikumi National Park

Waiting for petrol with some giraffes

My new friend

I called him Kaa

Finally it was time to leave Dar. i'd been there for nearly 5 weeks! my girlfriend Anita Macchi came out to visit me for 3 weeks. we hadnt seen each other in 5 months. so needless to say i was over the moon at having 21 days with her. we went to zanzibar pemba and stayed one week in dar (i had a serous fever for some days). so after a fantastic holiday away from the journey i left Dar and made my way down to a bush camp near Iringa. the road was just beautiful! lovly tarmac, sweeping climbs and curvy roads that made the ducati scream with joy. the roads are rough in africa, so when we get a chance to feel the curves we go for it. the going was pretty slow, i hadnt been on a bike in 4 weeks. so i took it easy. we camped that night in the middle of nowhere in the mud. was a nice start to my re-entry into travelling. sleeping on mud is quite comfortable i must add.

Quando ci siamo alzati la sabbia bianca rifletteva ancora la luce intensa della luna. Ci siamo seduti sulla spiaggia ed abbiamo aspettato l’alba per godere un ultima volta dell’incredibile spettacolo offerto dal sole che, sorgendo dall’oceano indiano, illumina le piccole canoe dei pescatori che si apprestano ad atterrare. Dopo aver salutato il mare, la spiaggia, l’amaca e gli amici siamo partiti con un pizzico di tristezza in fondo al cuore. Faceva un caldo terribile e con l’umidita’ ed i vestiti della moto addosso ci sentivamo soffocare. Dopo 200 km siamo arrivati a Morogoro ed abbiamo visitato l’Allamano Seminary. Subito dopo Morogoro la strada attraversa tutto il Mikumi National Park. Questo parco non e’ molto esteso, ma presenta un’elevata concentrazione di animali ed a causa della presenza di leoni, leopardi e serpenti non e’ consentito percorrerlo in motocicletta. Nonostante cio’ sulla strada principale non ci sono controlli e noi non abbiamo avuto nessuna difficolta’ a passare. Sfortunatamente nel bel mezzo del parco sono rimasto senza carburante e mi sono dovuto fermare ad aspettare che Herby tornasse con una tanica di benzina. Ad essere sincero durante quei quaranta minuti non sono stato del tutto tranquillo ed ho passato il tempo a guardarmi in torno scandagliando continuamente ogni singolo cespuglio d’erba. Alla fine ho contato 16 elefanti, 14 giraffe, una ventina di babbuini, ma, sfortunatamente, neanche un leone.
Appena 5 curve dopo essere ripartito mi sono ritrovato davanti un serpente lungo 1.5 m e per lo spavento ho rischiato di finire per terra. Nonostante cio’ mi sono fermato a salutarlo ed alla fine siamo anche diventati amici.
L’ultimo tratto di strada che porta ai 1.800 mt di Iringa e’ in salita e pieno di curve. Un vero e proprio parco divertimenti per motociclisti. Verso sera ci siamo accampati al River Side Campsite (S 07 47,868 E 35 47,780) dove abbiamo montato la tenda proprio sulla sponda del fiume. Abbiamo passato qualche giorno ad Iringa per far visita ad altri quattro enti beneficiari del progetto “Una Scarpa per un Sogno”.
Il secondo giorno tornando dal mercato ho trovato il lucchetto del bauletto della moto aperto ed in quel momento mi si e’ gelato il sangue. Sono rimasto come paralizzato a fissare quella serratura chiedendomi chi avesse potuto forzarla davanti a tutte quelle persone. Ho appoggiato la mano sul coperchio, ma non ho avuto il coraggio di aprirlo ed ho iniziato a guardarmi intorno cercando una risposta negli sguardi della gente. Ho fatto un respiro profondo per trovare il coraggio ed ho sollevato il coperchio con un rapido movimento della mano, ma proprio un attimo prima di poter vedere il contenuto i mie occhi si sono chiusi istintivamente. Il mio futuro dipendeva da cio’ che avrei visto una volta riaperto gli occhi. Dentro quel bauletto c’era il mio passaporto, il carnet, il libretto della moto e tutte le cose piu’ importanti. La perdita di quei documenti avrebbe significato la fine di questo viaggio ed un ritorno prematuro in Italia. Mi sono concesso altri 3 secondi dopo di che ho aperto appena un angolo dell’occhio sinistro e la prima cosa che ho visto attraverso le ciglia e’ stato l’obiettivo della mia macchina fotografica. Senza neanche controllare il resto ho chiuso il bauletto e per la gioia ho iniziato a cantare come un matto abbracciando chiunque mi capitasse a tiro.
Colonna Sonora: "Always on the run" Lenny Kravitz

When we woke up the white sand was still shadowed by the light of the moon. We sat on the beach waiting for the dawn. We lingered there to see one last time the breath-taking show offered by the sun: rising from the Indian Ocean it lighted up the small fishing boats about to land. We bid goodbye to the sea, the beach, the hammock and our friends, and set out with a little bit of sadness in the deep of our hearts. The weather was very hot and it was like choking because of damp and our bike clothes. After 200 km we got to Morogoro and visited the Allamano Seminary. Soon after Morogoro the road cuts through the Mikumi National Park. Mikumi is not very large, but there’s plenty of wildlife. It is not allowed to drive through the park, because of the presence of lions, leopards and snakes. We were lucky, though: we didn’t find any checkpoint on the main road and so we ventured through the park easily enough. Unfortunately, half way through the park I ran out of gas, so I had to wait for Herbie to come back with a gallon of gas. To tell the truth, during those 40 minutes I felt a little uneasy, and I spent the time looking around carefully at every single bush. At the end, I had counted 16 elephants, 14 giraffes and about 20 baboons – unfortunately, no lions at all!
After just five bends I found a 1.5m-long snake across the road and I almost fell off my bike: gee, I was scared! Anyway, I stopped to say hello to the snake and we eventually became friends.
The last section of the road to 1800 m-high Iringa is steep and full of curves. A real amusement park for riders. At sundown we stopped at River Side Campsite (S 07 47,868 E 35 47,780), where we camped on the bank of the river. We spent some days in Iringa and paid visits to four organizations benefitting from the project “Una Scarpa per un Sogno”.
On the second day, I had just come back from the market when I found the padlock of my bike locker open and my blood just froze. I was sort of paralyzed while I stared at the padlock wondering who could have open it: the place was crowded with people. I leaned my hand on the cover but I didn’t have the courage to open the locker, so I started looking around trying to find an answer in the eyes of the people who were there. I took a deep breath and I lifted up the cover with a swift movement of my hand, but just before I could see inside my eyes closed instinctively. My future depended on what I was going to see. Inside the locker were my passport, the carnet, the bike registration card and all of the things that were most important to me. Losing those documents would have meant the end of my journey and my comeback to Italy before the time due. I waited for another three seconds and then I peeped inside the locker: the first thing I saw was the lens of my camera. Wow! I didn’t even check the rest; I shut the locker and started singing out loud like a madman hugging everybody around me. Soundtrack: "Always on the run" Lenny Kravitz

No comments: