Tuesday 17 June 2008

Jo'burg bike maintenance

Kristof and Mark getting their hands dirty

some of our desmo buddies

Ducati Sandton. the team. thanks a million guys for all your wonderful support.

my bent rim. air is seeping out. losing a bar a day. this happened in botswana.

matt getting busy




my seat shaft... fixed african style.

that nice crack that ended my advetnures in namibia.


Gabi, ducati president of south africa. grande grande gabi vai piano ne!


It all started off while i was in the middle of the salt pan. i was sleeping beside my bike and by chance saw a massive crack on my engine casing right where the engine mount bolt went in. wow i thought... thats big. i did a routine check and found that my seat adjustment shaft was broken, again. ok i thought. thats it... im walking outta here. about 70km. would have taken me about 2 days of solid walking. i had enough water... in the end it turned out alright. i fixed the seat shaft momentarily (bush solution) an decided to make for joburg where i knew our friends Ducati Sandton would help me out. and what a lovely reception! After much shaking of heads by kristof and mark and a helluva lot of work we got her back on the road. the list was: 1.) redo valve clearances. 2.) new oil filter, air filter, plugs, oil etc. 3.) fix up the front fairing i destroyed in my kenyan crash - it was hanging on with cable ties. 4.) new chain and sprocket set - my front sprocket's teeth were bent. 5.) move the exhaust back, it was rubbing on my swingarm and causing a terible racket. 6.) give her some love and attention. 7.) a little kiss. 8.) oh yeah, and weld the nice fat crack in the engine! Ducati Sandton were just fantastic. they put us up, and gave us everything from a place to sleep to the best coffees in africa. a big thanks goes to Theoni, Peter, Joe, Gabi, Kristof, Mark and Kim. Thanks for all the lovely dinners and tlc. we really needed it.

No comments: